Friday, May 11, 2012

Week 2: The First Oath

(Taken from Our Own Druidry pg. 18-19)

In the first Oath the student pledges to take up the tree ways that are the core of ADF's work. 1. Virtue: to do right and to live well. 2. Piety: to keep the customs and work the pagan ways. 3. Study: to seek to increase Pagan knowledge and skill.

Before you begin, close your eyes and think about the First Oath and what it means to you. Envision what it means to you to live a pagan life, and what it means to live a virtuous life. Think about all of these things, and whenever you are ready it is time to begin:

(Some people like to open the gates and include the hallows. In this example I will not be doing that.)

"I (name) before this assembly, declare myself to be a pagan, a seeker of the Old Ways, and worshiper of the Old Gods. With this holy Oath I set my foot upon the path, the Druid's way, and I vow to seek virtue in , my life to do right by my kin, my friends, and my community. I vow to make my paganism real, by keeping the rites and works that call to me. I vow to deepen mu understanding of the old ways through study to fill my mind with the truth of the elder paths. These things I swear to the Gods with those gathered here as my witness, Esto (so be it)!"

No comments:

Post a Comment